No-one said change was easy.
It can be difficult to shift from...
- teaching in your old way to experimenting with a different way.
- being in control of the learning to letting go and allowing the learners take ownership.
- focusing on teaching to focusing on learning.
- planning what and how to really considering why.
- working in a closed classroom to sharing a flexible open environment.
- comfortable thinking to disruptive thinking.
- telling kids to encouraging them to discover for themselves.
- teaching to the whole class to catering for individuals.
- assessment of learning to assessment that informs further teaching and learning.
- following a prescribed program to creating powerful learning experiences from scratch.
- emphasising content to reflecting on process.
- being the boss of the class to being part of the learning community.
It isn’t easy. Learning new ways is challenging. It requires openness, time, perseverance, reflection, practice and resilience. All the things we expect of our students. Learning can be messy, complex and uncomfortable. But if we’re educators, in the business of learning, we need to be learners ourselves.
We have no choice.