A brief letter to young parents about choosing a school…
Dear Mums and Dads,
I’ve heard from a few of you lately about the schools you have chosen for your children. I was a little taken aback to hear that you did this by checking online for the schools’ Naplan scores.
What matters to you?
An environment where…
- your child’s curiosity is nurtured and inquiry is encouraged?
- her unique abilities and preferences are taken into account?
- social and emotional needs are addressed as much as intellectual and physical?
- your child feels secure and valued, able to take risks and build resilience?
- learning is engaging and purposeful, relevant to the future in which she will live?
- creativity and initiative are valued over mere compliance?
- understanding, empathy and compassion are fostered?
- your child learns to be reflective and understand herself as a learner?
- education looks different than it did when you went to school…?
Naplan scores won’t reveal any of these.
PS. Try visiting the school, talking to students, teachers and parents and asking questions about the things you really care about…