Grab a dice and play the game of school…
This was the provocation for my Unleashing Learning workshop, entitled ‘From Doing School to Real Learning‘.
How did playing the game make people feel? It seemed pointless. You could win without doing anything meaningful.
What was missing? Purpose, fun, discovery, feeling, thinking and, indeed… learning!
This was not a workshop about answers, its intention was to provoke thinking, to unsettle and to push. Hopefully, it left participants wondering about these questions and more…
- What are the conditions for powerful learning?
- How much time do we spend on things that do not lead to powerful learning?
- What do you believe about learning?
- Does your practice align with your beliefs?
- To what extent do children create their own learning opportunities way beyond what school can offer?
- Does school slow down learning?
- Is it easier to do something the same way than to rethink learning from scratch?
- What’s one change I can make, starting tomorrow?
- Is your planning time spent thinking about what and how you will teach?
- Do you think about how best each student will learn?
- Are old pedagogies suited to a rapidly changing world?
- How might we unleash learning rather than doing school?